SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do YOU own a Cal 2-29?(Headroom question)
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013

saltfree is on a distinguished road
Re: Do YOU own a Cal 2-29?(Headroom question)

Hmmmmm, so I've found one for about $7000 CDN that is in OK shape. I went and had a look at it, but I'm realizing that my frame of reference on used boats isn't very good yet. I haven't done enough comparisons to know if what I'm looking at is what I should expect for that price. I keep running the advice that I heard about spending a little more for a boat that already has what I'm looking for, as opposed to trying to do all the fixer upping myself.

This particular boat seemed like it had been reasonably (not exceptionally) maintained, without much updating.
The pros: it is a Cal 2-29 with wheel steering, I really like the layout.
Inboard engine (Yanmar 18hp) runs, but is looking "old". Bilge under engine is filthy.
Interior in OK condition, cushions seem clean, no weird stains anywhere.

The cons: none of the thru hulls have been changed. They are the 1/4 turn type, but looking rough. The bilge does fill with some water coming from ??? if the bilge pump is not left in the "auto" position.
The sails (1 main + 3 headsails) are all looking pretty beat up, and the mainsail is actually from a Thunderbird 26 (measurements not 100% correct for Cal 29)
Bulkhead sliding door sticks and won't open beyond 1/2 way. I've heard this can be a warning of big problems.
Small leak through deck at starboard chainplate.
Salt crystals on back of most of the drawers. Can this occur from salt in the air over time, or is this a sign that the boat was submerged at some point?

Anyhow, this boat could be great someday, and seems the perfect size and layout for me and my family, but is it worth the work and $$$ ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook