SailNet Community - View Single Post - Clothing for sailing in cool or cold weather.
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Clothing for sailing in cool or cold weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
....What kind of gear do I need for air temps between 30-70 water 40-55?.....
That's a big air temp range. At 70 degs, I'm in shorts and barefoot, particularly if sunny. At 30, I'm in the bar telling sailing stories.

If you're going to get wet, you're going to get cold at any of these temps. But, if that's not a significant concern, I find long pants and a fleece that I can zip up around my neck is fine down to about 60 degs, while underway, and 50 degs while at anchor. Sailing in the 50s requires a mid-weight foulie. Below that, I got nothing, cuz I don't want to be there. I've done it, but only because I had to do a delivery.

Those water temps should be your real concern. You will have minutes before you start to become stiff and around an hour before death. Your focus should be on tethers, etc, to keep from being in it or having a raft, if you must abandon ship.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook