SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailing a spiritual experience
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: sailing a spiritual experience

Sailing at night under a sky filled to the rim with stars.

Sailing at night with lightning crashing around 360 degrees.

Watching the first glow of the coming sunrise lighten the horizon.

All these big obvious sailing moments can inspire, if not spiritual or religious feelings, at least a reminder of our relative size and importance in the universe.

But then, so can the smaller moments: ghosting along on a sunny afternoon, in light winds on a bay full of sunlight sparkles. Those subtle moments, when the wind that moves your boat isn't massive and obviously powerful, but almost unnoticeable and yet your sails still move you, are simultaneously easier and harder to comprehend. That is where the real magic happens.

Dylan, my colleague Sarita Suzanne at Monkey's Fist is looking for blog posts about the singlehanding experience, may I give her your link? The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives: Going It Alone

Edit: Oops, sorry, looks like she was posting while I was composing - great minds, and all that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:

Last edited by wingNwing; 02-08-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Oops, she was posting while I was composing!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook