SailNet Community - View Single Post - For a family of 4 - Islander 28 vs Catalina 30
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: For a family of 4 - Islander 28 vs Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Thanks again, Jim! Actually one of the things keeping Southwinds in the picture was their pool, so it's interesting to hear that it won't be available. That helps winnow things down even more.

If we're in Barnegat Bay , I think it's now down to Tall Oaks/Silver Cloud, Shore Point, or, if we want to abandon the idea of a pool, Laurel Harbor.

Have you been up to Shore Point in Bayville? I like the idea of being there because, if the winds aren't right for sailing on the bay, I can always come in and sail the river which is fairly wide in that stretch. It's a quick hop out into the river from the marina, and then a 15-20 minute sail to the bay, which sounds good on paper. I do worry that it's a little unprotected depending on the winds, but it seems like it would be better than our last marina which looked directly out onto about a mile and a quarter of open bay to the south, the direction of the prevailing winds.

Tall Oaks will be about $1100 more for the year than Shore Point (including electric, pool fees, winter storage fees, etc.), and almost $2000 more than Laurel Harbor for the year. I'm a bit iffy about the way Laurel Harbor stores the boats, though (they use blocks, rather than jackstands), so I might have to winter her somewhere else, which would probably knock about $200 off of that difference. Tall Oaks is still cheaper than Dillons Creek - I'd love to go back there, but really can't justify it.
Sorry, I'm just not familiar with Shore Point. Dillon's Creek is really nice. Just watch out for their attack dog! You might get licked to death.

The only downside with Dillon's creek is there aren't any restaurants/bars that are walking distance as I remember. But if I had kids the pool and the lack of traffic would be BIG selling points.

I think you might be mixing up Southwinds with another marina. They filled in the pool around '09.

Honestly the marinas you're looking at are all good choices. Keeping the kids occupied when you're not sailing is an added dimension for you that we don't have (our son is grown).

And look at the bright side; if you aren't thrilled with the marina you pick you can always try out the others by taking a transient slip for the weekend. The great thing about a boat is you can always cast off the lines and move to another marina. We started on LBI and moved up to the bay to get away from the crowds. Try that with a condo!

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook