SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need a boat to cruise the coast of Maine
View Single Post
post #15 of Old 02-08-2013
chef2sail

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Need a boat to cruise the coast of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
Im happy to announce that it is time for that process to start all over again.

My wife and I have decided to sell a small bit of property we own and buy a bigger sailboat. The big difference here is that we are buying the boat, not just me. I think that is just the coolest thing ever. We have no idea how long it will take the property to sell, so this could be a long term thing.

Most of our trips will be day sailing out of Portsmouth, NH with frequent overnights on a rented mooring at Isles of Shoals (4-5mi offshore). Once or twice a season well be sailing further north to explore the coast of Maine; perhaps eventually as far as Canada. Maybe well sail south and spend a weekend on Cape Cod. I hope to someday sail further south and explore the Florida Keys or maybe the Caribbean. I dont plan on any offshore work, but Id like to know that the boat could do it.

Its just the two of us, maybe an overnight guest or a couple; we think 29 to 32 feet is about the right size.

Wed like:
Above: monohull 29-32 feet; masthead rig; inboard diesel; protected rudder & screw; decent foredeck for anchor handling; wide side decks; roomy cockpit; wheel steering;

Below: traditional interior; full galley w/ oven; nav station; quarterberth; moderate tankage; head w/shower;

The cockpit is more important than the cabin. Im more of a cruiser than a racer, but no one wants a barge. I prefer sailing ability over shallow draft. Im willing to lose some roominess to get some sea kindliness.

My brother recently bought a Bristol 32 and it really opened my eyes to these fine boats. If I had the cash right now there are 2 Bristol 29.9 boats in my area and price range that Id be looking at. In my view, these 29.9s are the boats to beat. I love the modified full/fin keel and the sit down, forward facing nav station (on a 30 boat!). The joinery down below is also very nice.

For the right boat in turn key condition and set up for cruising, we could go close to $20k; Wed be happy to buy a less well equipped boat (no dodger, no roller furling, maybe it needs a new stove) for less and equip it ourselves, but I dont want an $7,500 fixer-upper. I know Ill be looking at 30 year old boats, but I want one thats been cared for.

So, if I cant get one of those Bristol 29.9s, whats the next best thing?

Is there something better?

Thanks in advance!

Ken
I like all the Bristols. my favorites are the 41.1 and the 45.5. All of them seem quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.- Dennis Conner
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome