SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who from SailNet would you most like to meet in person?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Who from SailNet would you most like to meet in person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I don't know. Welding doesn't cost much, 50-150$us/hr. Welding something as simple as Swain is writing about shouldn't take very long to do as long as you know what the design is and have it all marked out. Of course if you want the welder to do all the thinking for you (design) then sure it'll cost a lot of money, but if all s/he is doing is cutting where you say cut and welding, not so much.
You make a really good point. If you have it all cut up, designed out, and ready to weld, it shouldn't cost much at all to have someone do it. That also saves you the expense of buying the welding rig and rods.

I know Swain has a welder design in his book that you can apparently create using a car alternator, heavy gauge wire, a corkscrew, and an avacado but taking the mostly finished project to my local stainless welder has real appeal.

I think it's time I buy Swain's book. Odds are there is at least one piece of knowledge in there that will save me more than the cost of the book...

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook