SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ground Tackle For Chessie Mud
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013

swampcreek is on a distinguished road
Ground Tackle For Chessie Mud

I posted the following on a Catalina owners site and figured I'd drop it here too...

We just bought our C320 (#719) in September so please understand any elementary questions. I'm looking into upgrading our ground tackle (Right now a danforth type and minimal chain) for the Chesapeake which is mostly black loose mud, sometimes sand and of course lesser variations of everything else except coral. I have a few questions...chain, I thought the stock windlass was only to have rode be ran through it, do you wind in the anchor till you get to chain and then pull it by hand?

Also I see many types of anchors people swear by and then the next thing I read totally states something else, "Practical Sailor" just did a review on smaller anchors and the "Spade" brand (V shaped sole) won out. Does anyone have this anchor?

All our previous boats were smaller with less equipment and were much less of an investment so we just made what we had work (I NEVER had a windlass). With this boat we want to avoid as many expensive lessons as possible...going adrift with over 12,000 pounds is one of them.

Thanks,
Bruce.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook