SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom paint flag coat theory vs. reality
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road
Re: Bottom paint flag coat theory vs. reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
That has not been my experience at all. A simple scuff in the spring gets it going again though I've done nothing and had it work perfectly. Are you buying "multi-season co-polymer ablatives? ...

The ONLY glitch we had was that I allowed the Pettit rep to talk me into Hydrocoat. HUGE, HUGE mistake. It failed to perform, failed to "ablade" and it all had to come off...
I've been mulling this over. I'm entering my second season as a boat owner, and last year I put on a coat of Hyrdocoat during my initial haul out, even though there seemed to be quite a bit of old buildup (the prior owner also used Hydrocoat.) This year, as last year, when I had it hauled and pressure washed, there were maybe a dozen or so areas that chipped away down to the barrier coat. These range in size from quarter to saucer-sized. I'm seriously contemplating just touching up these areas and the water line, instead of adding yet another coat.

One thing I will say is that I had no visible growth on the hull after several months in the water (upper Chesapeake.) So the paint seems to be doing its job in that respect. I just think there's way too much of it on the hull.

Sorry if this constitutes a thread-jack!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook