SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
AIS? / Vendee Globe

I have seen in a lot of posts many guys having what I think is an unfounded confidence on the AIS system.

Two collisions on the Vendee Globe and this close call make me very suspicious about AIS efficiency, specially with small fishing boats...and even with some cargos

Alessandro (IT, Team Plastique):

I’m fine. I have between 20 and 25 knots.

Yesterday, I was really scared because of the cargo. I heard my radar, but I wasn’t sure it was a boat, because the radar can ring for many reasons.

I tried several VHF calls until the last minute when I saw it coming out of the fog on my starboard side. We were on a collision course. The cargo was not the AIS system and still did not answer my VHF calls.

During a few moments I was ready for the impact. So I decided to luff to slow down my boat and I change my journey in order to let the cargo pass at the front of the bow. It was about 100 meters or less from my boat when it crossed me and even after their crossing they continued not to respond on the radio.

I was angry and anxious because my life was in danger. There was nobody in the cockpit and that explains why we see that many accidents on the water.

And they keep arriving and Public keep saluting then as if they were winners. Great spirit and a population that loves sailing.

L'arrivée de Mike Golding (2e partie) por VendeeGlobeTV

L'arrivée de Dominique Wavre (2ème partie) por VendeeGlobeTV

Even Bernard Stamm that was not racing anymore had a big welcome. Nice

L'arrivée de Bernard Stamm aux Sables d'Olonne... por VendeeGlobeTV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-09-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook