SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making a living as a liveaboard
View Single Post
post #54 of Old 02-09-2013
jamesorr

Re: Making a living as a liveaboard

We have not pulled the trigger as of yet but this is a real subject that we have discussed quite a bit. I know that if your willing to do just about anything and are somewhat handy you can survive. Like my wife is tiny, which is great for going up masts, $100 a trip. Or cleaning houses and painting the interiors because the owners don't want the locals in their homes. We plan on taking a sewing machine along and doing canvas work as well. We also build handmade dinghys that we sell and that will blow away anything you get at a big retailer. So we shall save a good egg and then go and try working it as we sail, to conserve the egg.... also I've heard HVAC repair is a great skill to take with you, and of course an electrical background would be in demand too. Buying one of those topside mini-air compressors for snorkling/diving would prob. net some income as well, cleaning props and such. Buy a tension gauge(s) for standing rigging and charge people to adjust their riggs. Many things to do, any more ideas out there?
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome