SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making a living as a liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013

jamesorr is on a distinguished road
Re: Making a living as a liveaboard

We have not pulled the trigger as of yet but this is a real subject that we have discussed quite a bit. I know that if your willing to do just about anything and are somewhat handy you can survive. Like my wife is tiny, which is great for going up masts, $100 a trip. Or cleaning houses and painting the interiors because the owners don't want the locals in their homes. We plan on taking a sewing machine along and doing canvas work as well. We also build handmade dinghys that we sell and that will blow away anything you get at a big retailer. So we shall save a good egg and then go and try working it as we sail, to conserve the egg.... also I've heard HVAC repair is a great skill to take with you, and of course an electrical background would be in demand too. Buying one of those topside mini-air compressors for snorkling/diving would prob. net some income as well, cleaning props and such. Buy a tension gauge(s) for standing rigging and charge people to adjust their riggs. Many things to do, any more ideas out there?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook