SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ground Tackle For Chessie Mud
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough
Re: Ground Tackle For Chessie Mud

I have a 44# Spade. I sail the Chesapeake.

The spade is not a good anchor for glutinous super-soft mud without the following additional procedure:
Drop the anchor as normal, but do not pull strain. Wait 15-20 minutes (or more) so that the spade can 'settle down' through and deeply into the SOFT mud BEFORE you pull strain ... and when you do pull strain, do it on a ~10:1 or more scope, then set normal scope after youre sure its set.
Same procedure in spherical loose lightweight 'coral sand' in the tropics ... you have to wait until the Spade 'settles through' before you pull strain to set it. Once 'set', no problem.

The above procedure was told to me by the inventor of the spade before he retired ... and it 'works'.

However, even with this 'technique' in hand I still dont fully 'trust' my spade in Bodkin Creek or Swan Creek during any blow if there will be any wind shifts ... and use a BIG aluminum fortress danforth (with dual 'mud angle' settings). I use my 'spade' for 99.99% of my anchoring, and with well over 30-40000 sea miles. I really dont like danforth type anchors because of their inability to 'reset' over and over again during wind vs. tide shifts ... and thats where the spade is unsurpassed.
My wife (and sometimes me) edit a famous cruising guide for the Ches., so we've anchored in almost every gunkhole on the Ches.

;-)

Last edited by RichH; 02-09-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook