SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Some questions:

I guess you have a winchard tensioner. What is the model?

What kind of links you have between the sail and the stay? A traditional metal clip on system or a textile connection?

You have a reef on that jib?
I think this is a very good plan, Paulo. Your Comet 41 S also carries a lot of sail and even with a well designed roll-reefable foresail, there comes a moment when you just want a very strong and flat sail on an inner forestay that also brings the sailplan down and away from the bow.

But the system we have does not involve a quick release type of tensioner.
The textile (12 mm dyneema) inner forestay has a looped end that connects with a rope and tackle fitted on the bulkhead in the anchor/sail locker/crash box. This tackled rope comes back on the foredeck and first runs through a clutch (remote controlled from the cockpit with an thin line) to the piano, to be tensioned by the winch on the coachroof but without this enormous tension kept between the clutch on the foredeck and the piano in the cockpit.

Somewhat complicated to explain but quite straightforward to use. The main issue is: tackle + winch allow quite a lot of tension on the inner forestay, which I think is important when things get though.
I would be glad to take and post some pictures to make this more clear, but the whole set-up is now completely dismantled for winter storage .

So I hope the V&V video (posted earlier by Paulo) will help understanding how it works.
Fast-forward to the very end (presentation of the foredeck) and you will see the (temporary) forestay, the tensioning rope and the remote controlled clutches (the second one is used to give the same amount of tension to the bowsprit). Then just imagine all these lines coming back to the piano.
Pogo 12,50 : rapide, dans les grandes largeurs

Anyway, as soon as we expect strong and contrary winds, we rig the inner forestay and the staysail in its bag ready for use. Beforehand and preferably at port. Because whatever the configuration, it’s always a heavy sail to bring forward and a hell of a job to rig the whole thing on a rocking foredeck .
But not permanently, because the inner forestay is a real pain in the (BEEP!) to tack the solent in normal conditions .

Our sail has regular metal clips, Paulo. Given the conditions within the staysail is used, I think this is the best solution.
Yes, the staysail has a reef. Although we never used it yet , I think it would be a pity not to provide this when things go really bad. But having to go out there and reef this sail is one of my favorite nightmares .

Best regards,

Eric

Last edited by EricKLYC; 02-09-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook