SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ground Tackle For Chessie Mud
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Ground Tackle For Chessie Mud

PalmettoSailor's advice was sound. I've had Danforths, Delta, Fortress, and Manson.

The Fortress is great for certain super soft mud anchorages. Great for a kedge and for a second, as they are so light.

I had a 25-pound Delta on my 32-foot cat. Mostly very good, but undersized in soft mud. Easy to place and good with shifts. Always came up clean.

I then got a 35-pound Manson. The size helped, and shape is better in either very hard bottoms or soft mud. An improvement, however, it comes up loaded with mud. I keep a long handled plastic scraper up front.

Regarding the windlass, please tell us what type. Most have a combination chain/rope gypsy that can manage both chain and rope, but they will hang up at the splice if not done perfectly. One solution is to have enough chain to handle 90% of harbors, which will only be about 75 feet in the Chesapeake (I have 50 feet, but my draft is less); then the slice does not have to pass.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook