SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to look for in a new boat
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: What to look for in a new boat

It is good to see you both looking for boats ! Keep us posted when you buy so we can share the joy. I would also like to learn what your pros and cons work out to be.
It might not hurt to take an old salt along to look. You will find free advice and support here on sailnet. Advice from a mate that knows you is will be very good most times. If this old dog can see your options up close and personal advice may be wize to follow. In the end you have the final say. I was blessed to have help. He was a Catalina man but had many good things to say about other brands. I asked the ones I sailed with about what was in my price range and skill level. I found my choice by crewing in the summer.
If you are going to spend a nice bit of $ you might want to get a Survey and a mechanic. Ask if you have a engine that could cost a fair amount time and money to replace. Some insurance companys will want a survey. The survey in my understanding may not take a long hard look at the engine. They are looking at the hull for major damage to make sure she will float. Oil samples are very good indicators for the engine. Take a sample to have it checked. Catapiller service dealers and other services centers can do that. They will check what metal is in the sample. All engines have some metal from the wear but what metal types and at what % gives you a good picture of the the health of the engine. I have such a small low cost boat a Catalina-22 that I used free advice. Good day to you, Lou

Last edited by Lou452; 02-10-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook