SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Solo sailing

Some fantastic piece of video posted by Stamm recently where he appears to be an amateur. of course it is not the case, he is one of the best, just look at this video from an old 2001 Atlantic transat record:

What happened on this video was a problem with the autopilot and one, that he know now, persisted all race. It is quite amazing that with a fundamental piece of material working with problems he would have had the confidence to drive the boat as hard as he had done (he lead the race and was a long time fighting for the lead).

This happened on the first days of the race, offshore Portugal and he explains what happened:

with the running minutes on the movie:

1:00

Bernard is running downwind at 25 knots boatspeed under main and small spinnaker. There is a problem with his starboard hydrogenerator and he starts the cockpit video recorder to show him going over the back of the boat to disconnect it.

1:18

At this moment, the autopilot unexpectedly switches off and the boat accidentally gybes, putting the spinnaker on the wrong side, pinning the boom against the runner and the boat lays flat in the water and stops. "Lucky I didn't break anything," says Bernard. "That was a miracle."

1:46

He goes to release the runner, but remembers that he has used the runner tail temporarily to lash on the hydrogenerator he'd been working on, so he has to climb up to untie it first. Meanwhile, you can hear the autopilot off-course alarm going off.

3:18

Bernard manages to ease the backstay. The sail stacked outboard is his genoa, which was fastened on, but not very tightly. The boat begins to move and you see Bernard steering, while also trying to operate the canting keel, which is on the wrong side. You hear the motor for that beginning at 4:05 and gradually the boat begins to come upright and tear off again downwind.

05:56

Another brief accidental gybe. This happened "three or four times" that afternoon.

07:05

Bernard says he's wondering here what's going on. "It was about an hour before I could stabilise the pilot enough to find a way to get it to steer while I got on the phone to the shore team to tell them we had a real problem we needed to sort out or I would not get past Portugal," he explains.

His autopilot problems persisted all the way round the world. "We solved a lot of problems, but we never got the real one. There must have been a bug," he says.

Accidental gybe - laid flat | Yachting World

Quand les ennuis commençaient à bord de... por VendeeGlobeTV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-10-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook