SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets have a chat about multis.
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Lets have a chat about multis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Seems as if you PCP have a pretty good idea of the size and type of cat you would consider to be ocean going. Can you relate your experiences with the diffrent catamarans and the voyages you have taken on these boats that make up your opinion?
yes, I have a pretty good idea of what I will accept not as safe, but as comfortable in what regards safety for Ocean voyaging. As I have said it regards only me and others may have higher or lower thresholds regarding that.

Let me also point that I am refereeing to what is offered today as mainstream market regarding cruising boats and not ones prepared specially for offshore work.

Regarding that knowledge the central core does not comes from sailing different sizes and types of sailboats. The experience anyone can have regarding that is limited unless we are talking of boat testers of very few magazines that are testing sailboats at the rate of 3 or 4 for month on the last 20 years. That knowledge comes from reading their reports, for some experience in sailing and most of all for the analyses that NA make regarding each model and their suitability for sea conditions.

For many years I have an interest in boat design, monohull and multihull alike and I have been following their development. Particularly in what regards multihull I am attracted by their superior speed (when they are designed with that in mind) and I have been following closely their development in what regards size, stability and seaworthiness simply because I would like to have one. I have been also following for many years monohulls and multihulls accidents and I have a pretty good idea of what had caused them.

It is this knowledge and my own evaluation of the risks I am willing to take that permits me to have an informed opinion of the monohulls and multihulls I am willing to use offshore. most of them, on the size I have referred, would have to be modified in what regards rigging to meet my personal criteria. But as I have said, that is just a personal criteria and suits only me. There are many that circumnavigated with smaller boats, multihulls and monohulls alike, and certainly fell that their boats suits them well.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-10-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook