SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom paint flag coat theory vs. reality
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Bottom paint flag coat theory vs. reality

Please note that all of the below is from IMHP from owning boats over the last 35 years

My current boat Seafever is a good example because it had a fresh start 2 years ago with 100% current material

I dont want to get into barrier coat other than i used it and the bottom paint was applied within the correct time window

It started out with 5 quarts of Micron Extra which was about two light coats with a bit more on the waterline

Season one ended up like this with the hauling yard giving it a powerwash and its exactly how it was relaunched

Season two ended up like this with the hauling yard giving it a powerwash and with a few hours of Scotch pads it will be ready for paint and another two year cycle

I consider this to be a perfect ending as none of the barrier coat was exposed until the yard power washed the boat and the least possible amount of paint was used

MY BOTTOM CARE METHOD

In my area of Long Island Sound barnacle larva are rampant and it sets the tone for your cleaning schedule as IF you let them get beyond larva your screwed

Season one nothing but a soft washcloth about every two weeks

Season TWO i find requires ONE session with a scrub brush to make the paint perform after sitting out of the water for 6 months

The rest of the season is the normal soft washcloth

I sail and race with a large number of people who use everything sold and NOTHING withstands Northport any better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook