SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gelcoat cracks in Sabre
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013

Todd K is on a distinguished road
Gelcoat cracks in Sabre

I am in the market for a used boat and am considering putting an offer down on a 2003 Sabre. Like many Sabres of this vintage, it has some cracks in the gelcoat on deck and in the cockpit. The extent and severity of the cracking doesn't appear to be too extreme at this point in its life (for instance there is no extensive "alligatoring"), however some of the cracks concern me, in particular a number that occur along much of the length of the genoa tracks, emanating from each screw that fasten the track to the deck (see enclosed pictures). Some extend into the non-skid textured portions of the deck, making them particularly difficult to repair. While the cracking would not be at this stage a cosmetic issue for me, my main concern is whether it would continue to get worse with time and, perhaps become a structural problem eventually, requiring extensive and expensive repair. Do most cracks, particularly on Sabres, appear early such that a 10 year old boat will have the majority of them with not many to follow, or is it impossible to generalize. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg gelcoat cracks 1.jpeg (79.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpeg gelcoat cracks 2.jpeg (85.2 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook