SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ray Richards Cheoy Lee 41 Offshore??
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013
USCG Captain

pcwallace is on a distinguished road
Re: Ray Richards Cheoy Lee 41 Offshore??

Hi Don,

I owned a Richards 32 in the late 70's and loved that boat. Yes, there was a lot of maintenance, but it was a labor of love. I would not hesitate to buy a Cheoy Lee again.

However, in addition to the issues you've already heard about, be ware of the teak decks and wooden window frames.

Many of these boats, since they are now older, have leaky decks. The deck is a layer of fiberglass, then balsa core, then a layer of fiberglass. Over this is 5/8" teak planking. It's beautiful and, I think, one of the Cheoy Lee's finest traits.

But. . . as time goes by, you can get leaks around the screws holding the decking down. The water gets into the balsa and causes dry rot. It can be fixed, but add it into your budget. If you find this on your boat, lower your bid to accomodate the repair.

The windows are also notoriously leaky. If you see water stains on the teak around the windows on the interior watch out. You will at very least need to reseal the windows. At worse you could have to rip the layer of veneer off and replace it.

Otherwise, I love these boats. I missed out on a chance to buy one a couple of years ago and am still kicking myself.

Captain Penn
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook