SailNet Community - View Single Post - Coolant circulation issue - is the water pump working?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013
Dufour 27 Newb

jaybeegee is on a distinguished road
Coolant circulation issue - is the water pump working?

Hi All,

In a seperate thread of many months back, I reported that my coolant water drain tap installed on a Beta Marine 20hp does not work as there is a blockage and I am not able to get past the elbow to unblock it! Pic here coolant | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have since given up on the blockage as I was recommended a good workaround to break the lowest hose connection to remove the coolant although I am aware that this will not remove most of the coolant - my guess around 30% - is this correct?

photo pump1_zps7f3565ea.jpg

So last year I used a coolant with a very strong green colour base and recently drained it and topped up with a coolant which is semi transparent and had a light blue stain. Now I removed the heat exchanger, I found it full with more of the light blue type coolant but removing the pipe I got the strong green tint!

How is this even possible?! Could it be that the pump is not working and there is no circulation!?! I have now ordered a hand pump to be able to extract more of the fluid but how can I confirm that the pump is functioning?!

thanks, Jay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook