SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low Water
Thread: Low Water
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Low Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN2Travelers View Post
When you get into the guts of the reports, you will find that they feel the costs associated with mitigating the damage from potential flooding in high water periods will exceed the benefits that would come from water level restoration.

My conclusion that nothing will be done is based primarily on this statement in the report summary:

> Restoration structures would require the ongoing commitment and financing of the governments of Canada and the United States, a process that could take 20 years or more for the full range of planning, environmental reviews, regulatory approvals and design steps.

If somebody handed them a $150 million check today, it would take 20 years to get to the point where construction would likely begin. So why bother. 36 years in the military and 29 years Fed civil service has made me very cynical when it comes to government reports, government planning and international agreements.
Hi Paul, I fully agree with you. Nothing will be done b/c it not in the interests of those who have power and money in our two countries. I too wonder about the short and medium term implications for those of us with deep keels.

Unfortunately, as you say, there is no one single cause. And the real issue appears to be changing climate. I guess we're all going to have to get used to sailing in thinner water.