SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013

wopalx is on a distinguished road
Re: New Grand Soleil 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
This was one that I wanted to see in Dusseldorf but they had only the 39 (that looked great). The first new 43GS was on the Paris boat show and then it went to England, don't know why (probably sold).

The boat was tested by Voile and Voiliers and they only said good things about it. That's remarkable since they are French and Italians are the main competition. As expected the boat is fast even if it was the "cruising" version they have tested. There will have a more sportive version weighting 10% less, carbon mast and all. I guess that one will be a match for the Xp 44.

This one is just an wonderful performance cruiser with a very high quality interior, more cozy and with a better design than the one on the Xp 44. The price is halfway between a First 45 and a XP 44.

Even if not the fastest version this one would be fast enough for me, if I had the money:

with main and a code 0:

With 3.5K TW at 90º - 4K speed

with 6.0K TW at 110º - 6K speed

with 11.0 TW at 110º - 8.8K speed

What a daft spot to the the anchor?

Like Volvo's 20 years ago where they seemed to fire the designer just as they got to the rear doors so they stuck a box on the back for the trunk like the 740's years ago.....

The XP's (38, 44, 50) have a much nicer arrangement with the anchor roller more or less hidden under the bow sprit, chain and warp goes internally to a windlass and locker under the deck.

They have also engineered the sprit to be strong enough not to need the supporting cable you see on many boats (like this one).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook