SailNet Community - View Single Post - Choosing/spec'ing VHF radio?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Re: Choosing/spec'ing VHF radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
MSN, all;

For now, it will be me solo puttering the N. Chessie, mostly daylight and probably for short-term/couple day trips... at least for this season. Eventually, the plan is to be on the water between the Chessie and Corpus Christie somewhere, full time

While I *had* considered a handheld, I was recommended a permanent cabin mount, as it will fare better at distance and be less likely to take a swim

Would you consider AIS to be mandatory on the ICW ?

Oh! BTW.. my W-27 has tiller, not wheel steerage. Mo' room in the 'pit

Thanx,
Paul

I guess it’s time to roll play. You’re at the tiller and that fixed VHF is somewhere down below. I can tell you that it is unlikely that you will hear anything being said and if you do hear something, it is unlikely that you will understand what is being said.

This will prompt you to get an external speaker in the cockpit just to hear and understand what is said. Now you can hear and understand what is being said but the damn mike is down below. Maybe you can get a long mike cable but I’ve never seen one.

That is why I suggested a handheld as your first radio. Under $150 for a floater and you’re good to go.

If you are convinced that a fixed unit with a longer reach is what you need right now, then something like the Standard Horizon GX1600 with a RAM3 in the cockpit would work well for you. Welcome to StandardHorizon.com Of course, the DSC safety function would be crippled due to no GPS data.

Standard Horizon has the GX1700, which is basically the GX1600 with built-in GPS Welcome to StandardHorizon.com About $210 thru Amazon.com

Both radios can be installed below and the only thing in the cockpit would be the RAM3 remote mike. About $90 thru Defender.com http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...957&id=1133628

Don’t forget the antenna ($40) and co-ax run up the mast (about $1 per foot plus connectors).

Can’t speak to the ICW . . . never been there.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes

Last edited by MSN2Travelers; 02-10-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook