SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Sundbeam 36.1

We have talked lately a lot about Sunbeam boats and with good reason: They seem to be in a successful renovation process and they are making quite interesting boats at a mid price between Jeanneaus and the like and HRs and the like.

They are an older brand (+50 years) and had always made quality boats but the design was not top and the performances were not great. Well, they had changed all that. The boats are well designed with a great attention to details, their are good looking, have a good quality and are as fast as the other boats in this class. The 36.1 is designed by Georg Nissen e Manfred Schoechl.

The only thing I don't like is the (only) two winches on the cockpit. Other boats in this class have that system, with only two winches too and today only Bavaria and performance cruisers offer 4 on the cockpit so it can be said it is a trend....well, I don't like it.

The boat was tested by yachtingMonthly and the test is quite good. I agree with all, except that stuff regarding the two winches and how easy is to sail with only that. Well maybe with relaxing sailing but how it will work with a geenaker?

A nice boat and an interesting one for someone that wants a comfortable, quality and well thought boat with everything needed already included in the standard boat price for not as much as a Swedish or Danish boat. The boat has also different stability characteristics than the typical mass production boats of this class with less beam and with a bigger B/D ratio (33%). I like the hull and keel, the overall design too. A nice boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-11-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook