SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbie from Southern Chesapeake Bay
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbie from Southern Chesapeake Bay

I'm not familiar with the Com-Pac rigging systems. I've seen a lot of home-made rigging systems for the Catalinas, both the 22's and 25's. They are pretty slick. But I still don't think I've heard about anyone actually rigging their boat in under about 45 minutes. In that regard, it is not like a powerboat (unfortunately). The Com-Pac system may be better; like I said, I'm not familiar with it. You might want to wander over to the Com-Pac owners section and ask folks how long it takes them to rig/derig (or is it unrig?) their boat, this way your expectations are set at an appropriate level, and this way you're getting first-hand information (rather than my bad information).

When I was toying with trailering, most of the guys told me that unless they were weekending, the idea of rigging and breaking down everything really put a cramp in their desire to go out. Now, that meant that most of the time, they were taking weekends away, and they and their significant others were OK with that concept. If that's your plan, then it may not be so bad.

Believe it or not, despite how my comments may be perceived, I'm not against the idea. I just want to make sure you understand what you're getting into. I'd hate to see you buy a 20-25' boat with a trailer for $XXX thinking you'll be venturing around the bay, and then hate it because of the time it takes to set up, especially when $XX could have gotten you a more comfortable boat, and the extra $X could have paid for a slip for a year or two. There are a lot of trailer sailors out there, and if you're OK with the advantages and disadvantages that go along with it, then that's great.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook