SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ample Power vs Balmar vs Xantrex
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ample Power vs Balmar vs Xantrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
My .02..

Your Bosch alt is likely internally temp compensated via the voltage regulator. Some Hitachi's, Valeo's etc. are the same way. When they heat up they reduce voltage which in-turn reduces current output. It is a self protective feature but one that leads to chronic undercharging on boats with large banks..

You may find that the alt does the same thing if using the Balmar alt temp sensor. These alts were never designed for high output applications and don't cool as well as an alt built for extended high output run times. The difference is the Balmar temp sensor can be adjusted and you can also limit the field to allow the alt to run at say a max of 50A vs. the 65A it is rated for. It can likely run at 45-50A all day long without over heating or going into temp limiting but you'd need to play with the field output to figure this out......
Thanks Maine... I'd be quite content if I could get up to 50AH steady while motoring... that would mean the ability to recharge the bank in approx 3-4 hours vs 10-12 it would take now... Now even with a relatively low bank, while I charge at 35A or so for 10 minutes it's soon down to 10A or less. Not satisfactory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Add Electro-Max to your list of replacements;
Hadn't heard of that one.. will check it out. Thx.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook