SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who does a lot of fishing from or near their boat?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013
Fly Fishing Maniac

WindyFly is on a distinguished road
Who does a lot of fishing from or near their boat?

The main reason for my soon to be move from landlocked Roanoke, down to the keys is fishing. I've been trout-bumming for a while, fished a lot in the Chesapeake, and will make my 5th week long trip to the keys for camping and fly fishing this May. I've got some leads on jobs down there and when I started looking at housing costs, and then add to that water access (either driving to and from launches/ramp fees, or docking a boat) the price really bugged me out. I'm really into Kayak fishing and have a nice SOT Jackson, and am getting arguably better at wading the flats for fish.

I came to realize that after so many years of doing 1-2 week long trips either living out of a car or tent while backpacking, combined with my more recent infatuation with tropical saltwater fishing, that I would probably be living on sailboat in the not too distant future.

So how many liveaboards, or any sailors for that matter, do a fair amount of fishing from their boat or nearby when living away from dock? I'm trying to get a handle on how feasible it is to get in fishing time, and what kind of success people have. I'm a decently accomplished angler, and know that with every new type of water there is a learning curve.

This goes for all types of fishing, fly, conventional, spear and even people who use lobby and crab traps. I've heard of lots of people while they have to motor sail, or just motor their boats they sometimes catch offshore species behind the boat.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook