SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seeking recommendation for light air Sail
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013

lr172 is on a distinguished road
Seeking recommendation for light air Sail

Last year we purchased a Hunter 34 and sail on Lake Michigan. We are still learning, but competent enough to enjoy ourselves. We have a lot of light air days around here in the 5-8 kt. range that make sailing far less enjoyable than winder days. I am looking to add a sail that will help in this area. We have a 150 Genoa on the furler, but it doesn't do much in these light winds.

Our boat came with a 170 jib that we have not yet used. It is made of a lighter dacron and has a bolt rope in the Luff. I assume it requires installation on the furler, as opposed to flying free like a Drifter. We also have a symmetrical spinnaker, but we don't use it, as I don't have much of a crew and for pleasure sailing we don't need to go downwind that often.

I would like to purchase or make, via a kit, a head sail that will allow me to keep moving in the light air. I prefer a sail that does not require me to take down the Genoa from the Furler and can easily be stored in a bag without folding.

I have read a lot about Drifters, Reachers and Asym Spinnakers (would use a sleeve for easy handling), but am struggling to determine which is best for my application. I am looking for something with versatility, but am more focused on Reaching, as I have the Sym. Spin. for downwind. I am hoping tap the experience of the Sailnet group in my search.

Thanks in advance for any experience or guidance that you can provide.

Larry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook