SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seeking recommendation for light air Sail
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 02-11-2013 Thread Starter
lr172

Seeking recommendation for light air Sail

Last year we purchased a Hunter 34 and sail on Lake Michigan. We are still learning, but competent enough to enjoy ourselves. We have a lot of light air days around here in the 5-8 kt. range that make sailing far less enjoyable than winder days. I am looking to add a sail that will help in this area. We have a 150 Genoa on the furler, but it doesn't do much in these light winds.

Our boat came with a 170 jib that we have not yet used. It is made of a lighter dacron and has a bolt rope in the Luff. I assume it requires installation on the furler, as opposed to flying free like a Drifter. We also have a symmetrical spinnaker, but we don't use it, as I don't have much of a crew and for pleasure sailing we don't need to go downwind that often.

I would like to purchase or make, via a kit, a head sail that will allow me to keep moving in the light air. I prefer a sail that does not require me to take down the Genoa from the Furler and can easily be stored in a bag without folding.

I have read a lot about Drifters, Reachers and Asym Spinnakers (would use a sleeve for easy handling), but am struggling to determine which is best for my application. I am looking for something with versatility, but am more focused on Reaching, as I have the Sym. Spin. for downwind. I am hoping tap the experience of the Sailnet group in my search.

Thanks in advance for any experience or guidance that you can provide.

Larry
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome