SailNet Community - View Single Post - Herreshoff H-28
Thread: Herreshoff H-28
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013

mejack is on a distinguished road
Re: Herreshoff H-28

Hi Amy,
I must admit that it did not sink in that it was a year ago you were wondering about H-28's; I thought it was still 2012, I guess.
Anyway, my boat is wood, mahogany on oak backbone. She is a gaff-rigged ketch, and cutter rigged with a bow spirit and boomkin. The hull is very true to Herreshoff's design, but the cabin has been changed a bit to suit, and as mentioned above, I changed the rig to gaff sails.
She sails beautifully under jib & jigger. I can set the sails, tie the wheel, and she will sail a straight line for miles. She has a wheel incidentally, because I had one and wanted to put it to use.
We sail out of Tarpon Springs, Fl. - out of the Anclote River. The river has a strong tidal flow in and out, and flukey winds, usually a land breeze in the morning and a sea breeze in the afternoon, but sometimes, no, often, wind is unreliable, so this Christmas I bought a little Honda 5hp engine to mount astern. Now I have wind, tide & motor problems to solve...
She's a lovely vessel with a sea kindly feel that has been lost in many contemporary designs, and I feel wholly at peace in her.
If I can figure out how to post photos on here, I will do it.
Jackson.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook