SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who does a lot of fishing from or near their boat?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013
Fly Fishing Maniac

WindyFly is on a distinguished road
Re: Who does a lot of fishing from or near their boat?

Oh for sure fly fishing from a moving sailboat would be futile, if you are anchored it wouldn't prove that much of a problem, at least no more so than fishing wild streams with trees and bushes everywhere(you just gotta stand on the side of the boat that goes with whatever your casting arm is). I'm very envious of your locale for fish, you get it a lot cheaper and waaay fresher than we can get good salmon here in the mid-atlantic. I'll probably use my yak a lot which I can stand up and cast in. Just not sure it's the best idea to be catching lots of fish near where I would be anchored since fish in duress tend to attract sharks, and if I would have to go in the drink for any number of reasons, I would prefer less sharks.

I think I'm gonna have to get more into bait fishing and trawling, as I really like seafood and fresh fish over canned/dried food is a huge plus as well. Do you happen to know if your crabbing/prawning buddies use promar hoops or traps? This is something I'm not to skilled at, I've done blue crabs on lines, traps, and pilings in the Chesapeake though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook