SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising with a Hard Dingy on Davits
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
Cruising with a Hard Dingy on Davits

So I am having a hard time reconciling something in my mind. I've got a heavy duty 12 foot hard dingy on davits with a 15hp outboard. We are gearing up for a long offshore cruise, and while I like the dingy for its seaworthiness it becomes exactly the opposite while underway. It's too heavy and large to bring on deck for stowage, but seems a great danger to leave on the davits should we encounter a breaking sea.

So where is the best compromise here? Sell the old hard dingy for one of the new hard bottom inflatable that can be stowed on deck, but that may not be as reliable as transport in heavier seas when you need it to take out a second anchor. Or, keep the heavy duty dingy on the davits and just wait for the perfect weather window every time? What scares me is what to do when it really gets nasty. I like the series drogue as the best storm option, but with a dingy waiting to get swamped turning the boat stern to doesn't seem a great idea. I guess I could ride a sea anchor and hoist a riding sail on the mizzen which would minimize the dingy exposure to heavy, breaking seas.

How have others handled this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook