SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard marina suggestions...FL, GA, SC, NC??
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Re: Liveaboard marina suggestions...FL, GA, SC, NC??

The marina I'm at in Ft Pierce, FL is a really nice liveaboard marina, but unfortunately I doubt the Ft Pierce schools are all that great. Vero Beach which is the town north of me would be my first pick to raise a family. It's pretty much one of those slow middle to upper middle class towns. Really friendly, nice areas, sort of a mix between small town and trendy feel. The marina is known as "Velcro Beach" because a lot of people get stuck in Vero and don't move on. Vero is nice and probably has a good school system with the type of kids in it you'd want your kids to be friends with. UCF is a pretty decent college and isn't too far away in Orlando. A bit long for daily commutes, but my impression is you just dorm the kids up in UCF and it's a really close trip for visits(1.5 hours).

It'd probably be about 1 hour 20 to get to Orlando's airport, which is a really nice airport to travel from and to. Marina fees should be reasonable, and while there's wifi you'd probably also want to pick up a Verizon USB modem for those days when the wifi isn't working well.

Another Florida option might be Bradenton Florida. There's 2 really nice liveaboard marinas there, it's close to Tampa(good airport and USF is a decent college), seems like a nice area but I'm not as familiar with it as I am with Vero.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook