SailNet Community - View Single Post - Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Been following thread with interest.

Question: My Yanmar 3GMD engine is very rusty. Previous owner had a deck leak directly above the engine. Would be best to pull engine and repaint, but no time to do that in the near future. Would like to clean it up as best I can and paint to protect. Mainly just trying to stop or slow any further corrosion.

The block is cast iron and transmission is aluminum (as well as the engine drain pan). Exhaust and intake look to be cast iron. Plan to degrease engine, remove as much corrosion as I can mechanically, then paint from a spray can.

I have bought some Moeller engine paint, along with the Moeller Zinc Chromate Primer (says for aluminum), and Moeller Zinc Primer (says for steel/cast iron). Can I use the Zinc Chromate Primer on steel/cast iron? Moeller says to use the zinc primer for bare steel, but I doubt I can clean the rust off to bare steel.

Regards
Clean all the loose and flaking rust of then hit it with a rust converter before priming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook