SailNet Community - View Single Post - Islander 36 (Gurney)
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Islander 36 (Gurney)

I'm investigating a scruffy I-36 and I have a question about their construction I hope someone can answer. I don't want to bother with signing up for the I-36 association just to ask one question.

I unzipped a couple of the headliner access panels and it appears that the deck is not plywood CORED so much as plywood BACKED. Since I was looking at the area under the after cabin top winches my first thought was it was a large plywood backing plate but I could find no evidence of an inner skin of fiberglass.

I could only examine a couple of relatively small areas but they were a lot bigger than any backing plate I've ever seen.

Does anyone know if this was in fact the way at least the early boats (1972) were constructed - the exterior glass surface with plywood "core" underneath and no inner glass skin?

An "open faced sandwich" so to speak.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook