SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for blog posts by/about new liveaboards, or those about to move aboard
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013
1977 Island Trader Ketch

mikecoder3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for blog posts by/about new liveaboards, or those about to move aboard

Just some basic input here. We are planning a live aboard this June.

This has been a two year prep and we started preparing before we ever purchased our sailboat.

We sold everything purchased a used 32 foot 5th wheel and lived in it for one year. I figured if I could master small spaces it would help prepare us for boat living.

We loved the 5th wheel and now that it has served it's purpose we are going to sell it.

We are excited about the live aboard and already downsized for less than 300 square feet of living space. I have learned where to skimp, and where not to. We definitely will use ceramic plates and as silver ware. The pressure cooker was a must in the 5th wheel so will be used on the boat. Another thing that is a must have is a bullet for juicing. Great meal supplements and small storage space. You can pick them up at Bed Bath and Beyond. We have learned to make coffee with a ceramic one cup dropper that takes cone filters. Saves space and works just as well as a coffee maker. I roast my own coffee from green beans so I have a grinder too. Will not be roasting on the boat due to smoke unless on open water. Moored at the marina would cause too much smoke for my neighbors. a good casserole dish with a lid that is not to big but will fit your stove oven works great.

any kind of kitchen item you like to use surprisingly comes in many collapsible forms like strainers, measuring cups and the such. Kitchen speciality stores carry many small collapsible space saving cooking gadgets that will take up less space than a household draw size of most items. Try and get "no-sweat" drinking glasses....makes for a nicer item in humidity without soaking your interior table with water rings.

Save small glass containers with lids for breaking down cold storage items in the frig without taking up tons of room as space is at a premium.

If I can think of any more suggestions I will share. Most of this is coming from the adapted 5th wheel living where we learned to do more with much less space. :0)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook