SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where is the best cruising in the USA?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: Where is the best cruising in the USA?

At first I thought you meant for a short visit, a charter maybe. But then it sounds like you are looking to relocate permanently, is that correct?

I live and sail in the PNW, and I love it in the summer. Like you said though, the summer is short and the winters not so nice. There are plenty of good "off season" sailing opportunities on beautiful, albeit cold days if your so inclined. I had a great weekend sail the other day. Beautiful, sunny, very nice indeed. Of course there was frost on the dock when I left at 2:00pm, and it was dark by 4:30, but it was nice

One possible advantage over the NE is that most boats stay in the water for the winter, and there's not tons of snow, so it's easy to get out for those nice, cold weekends when you can. Sounds like most people in the NE pull their boats for the winter and can't use them at all until the next spring.

I haven't yet sailed any where else, so I can't offer any comparisons there. I know many people cruise the world and think the PNW is one of the best cruising grounds, so there's that. Of course, after sailing here for many years, I'm ready to try something new, and warmer!

Also, lots of year around live aboards here, so while it is cold and wet in the fall, winter, spring it's not THAT bad.

Last edited by IslanderGuy; 02-12-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook