SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
it's almost impossible for the owner to cover up ALL the telltale signs. There will be heavy mildew under the cushions. The bilge may show watermarks high up. The lockers will look like they've been filled with soggy mess - or are ALL the lockers repainted? Hmmm. My main point is the usual "hose test" will not tell you much. If ports or hatches leak, they probably only need some adjustment or a new gasket.
1. Glenn, Did the survey pickup on the leaks?
2. If a boat was not heavaly sailed or was recently refurbished is their any survey techniques that would expose the leaks. I'm sure you have talked to a lot of people about this.
3. You said you thought that the core was getting saturated from the hull deck joint. As far as I know the core material does not extent to the hull deck joint. It is solid at the very edge of the boat.
Is it possible that you had wet core from deck mounted items like hand-rails etc that leaked.
You can typically find hull-deck leaks by drips down the inside of the hull not by leaks directly over berths.
Course if you are healed enough and the hull-deck joint leaks it could drip inboard and not follow the hull.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook