SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Islander 36 (Gurney)

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  arf145 
#1 ·
I'm investigating a scruffy I-36 and I have a question about their construction I hope someone can answer. I don't want to bother with signing up for the I-36 association just to ask one question.

I unzipped a couple of the headliner access panels and it appears that the deck is not plywood CORED so much as plywood BACKED. Since I was looking at the area under the after cabin top winches my first thought was it was a large plywood backing plate but I could find no evidence of an inner skin of fiberglass.

I could only examine a couple of relatively small areas but they were a lot bigger than any backing plate I've ever seen.

Does anyone know if this was in fact the way at least the early boats (1972) were constructed - the exterior glass surface with plywood "core" underneath and no inner glass skin?

An "open faced sandwich" so to speak. :)

#2 ·
We have an early I-36 in our club.. I'll ask the owner later today what he's got there (I think it's a '73 - but it's immaculate)

Reactions: SloopJonB
#4 ·
Great find, Kwalt!... it does look like they laminated/attached plywood to the deck underside. Certainly made it easier to attach the new headliner - as long as it's all dry.

That was a nice job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.