SailNet Community - View Single Post - $6,600 to rebuild Atomic 4? replace/rebuild
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 02-13-2013 Thread Starter
$6,600 to rebuild Atomic 4? replace/rebuild

I just received a quote to rebuild the Atomic 4 motor on my 1979 C&C 34. I was shocked at the $6,640 price tag for this job and I asked them to hold off on the repairs while I consider alternative options.

During haul-out this season, it was noticed by the yard crew that the motor was creating knocking sound and I ordered the engine be pulled from the boat for inspection. A few weeks later I received a diagnosis of the is what they said:

"There was a bad connecting rod that was causing the banging. Also the cylinders are worn out and need to be bored out and larger pistons & rings installed. Along with a bad exhaust valves, bearings and valve guides."

They are suggesting a total engine rebuild. I am concerned that the value of the boat does not warrant such an investment and was hoping to get some feedback from the SailNet community.

The engine needs some work, I understand that, but is a rebuild my best option? I plan on selling the boat in about 3 years for an upgrade, but I can't use/sell the boat with a compromised engine.

-Do I ask them to repair the connecting rods and handle the minor repairs myself?
-Do a full rebuild?
-Go all in and do a diesel swap? (hoping that I can extract 50% value when I sell)
-Look online for rebuild motor and have yard install?

Any insight, thoughts, words of wisdom, etc... would be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome