SailNet Community - View Single Post - Choosing/spec'ing VHF radio?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Choosing/spec'ing VHF radio?

eh-
"it still seems like a pain to have to do this if you go sailing on a friend's boat, and want to bring your handheld VHF."
This is why a handheld VHF should be licensed as a PORTABLE device, not a conventional fixed station. Last time I looked the FCC still licensed them--including the MMSI--as a ship's station license, but as a PORTABLE ship's station license, if you requested it.

That lets them know that whatever vessel is associated with the license, may not be the vessel in question. I have an EPRIB that is also licensed with a note that it is used as a portable, and may be on different vessels. NOAA doesn't care, FCC doesn't care, the only folks who care are the USCG if they need the SAR paperwork filled out. Well, technically, if your handheld ever wanders off the mothership (and if a license is required) like to a dink? Technically, that's probably when "portable" is required. I doubt anyone would ever call you to task if it wasn't.

"Description of vessel: white with white hull, white deck, white sails" Oh yeah, that's gonna help find it. (VBG)

"Portable" just tells them it could be anything in that vicinity, pretty much like "white".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook