SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's a sailor to do in London?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: What's a sailor to do in London?

Most of England is a 2 hour train ride from London. Seriously, you can't get more than 70 odd miles from the sea anywhere in the country.

I lived in London for a few months years ago, within walking distance of Greenwich (pronounced Grennich so you don't sound TOO much like a foreigner ). It's a wonderful city, unlike anything, anywhere here. From what I hear the Thames has been hugely cleaned up since but when I was on it, it was possibly the single most disgusting place I had ever been - an ancient open sewer. I'd go to the coast if I wanted to go sailing.

My best advice for travelling there? Take lots of money - LOTS of money. It's a wonderful city to be rich in but if you've got the shorts, not nearly so much. I think you will be stunned by the cost of everything there.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook