SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's a sailor to do in London?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Re: What's a sailor to do in London?

CalbD, love the pronunciation guide!

I personally enjoy the waterboat ride down to Greenwich. Pick it up next to the Houses of Parliament..and admire the statue of Boadicea, Queen of the Icenae ("Thy posterity shall sway nations Caesar never knew"); also worth having a look at the Thames Flood Barrier while you are at Greenwich. Good idea with global warming...

Too many other things to list!
- Hyde Park Corner ('cos that's where I was born :-)). Look over at Apsley House, which has the best address in the world. It's postal address is No.1, London.
- If you get the time, listening to a debate in the House of Lords/Commons is fascinating.
- London Eye, or course
- St Paul's Cathedral (having first looked up the photo of it during the Blitz)
- Natural History Museum
- British Museum
- Imperial War Museum
- Harrods (just because)
- Trafalgar Square, and the Mall down to Buckingham Palace. As you look down The Mall - look at the top of the streetlights for model ships sunk in the battle of Trafalgar.
- Walk down the embankment, especially at night. Have a look at Cleopatra's Needle - the twin of the one in Paris, both "acquired" from the Temple of Karnak in Egypt (as I recall). The lion statues still have bomb damage from the war. By the way, down parts of the embankment - and around other parts of London - there are metal "bollards". Originally many of these were French cannons.....
- The Inns of Court near the Old Bailey are..well, old.
- Whitby is lovely, but quite a way (there is an old expression: In the UK, 100 miles is a long way; in the US, 100 years is a long time). Personally I would recommend Cambridge. Go punting (if you are on the upper river, take a picnic and make a day of it). Some of those colleges are astonishing, even to the most jaded eye.
- Windsor Castle is nice and quite close.

just scratching the surface....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook