SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harken MkIV or Furlex 200s
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Harken MkIV or Furlex 200s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
True, Harken makes generally great products, but FWIW, the top of this furler is a plastic disc with a thin lip subject to breaking. Or at least all six examples I have personally used have had this characteristic, and all broke..

Yes, the problem appears due to the Colgate install, but I'd bet you'll get the same result by lowering the spinnaker pole on the unit.

As to jamming, the Furlex never jammed provided the line lead was correct. I do not believe in ten years I ever removed its cover due to a jam. Hands down, a better unit by far.
If I agreed with this I would have purchased a second Furlex.. The cost was the exact same or within $30.00 to me (head stay included).

Our Harken has performed flawlessly. It reefs the sail better than the Furlex did, and the little plastic bearing race cover on the top swivel has not failed on me yearly like it did on the 200S...

Our plastic cover plate over the drum has had zero issues so I suspect the proximity of the bow pulpit to the furler drum is probably not a Harken issue... I also race on a boat with a MK-IV and it too has performed flawlessly..

Both are excellent units but I would go for a third Harken over the Furlex if I needed another furler... I also like the Schaefer but it does not reef as well and is more money than Furlex or Harken..

I think all the furlers from the big four are excellent. Schaefer, Furlex, Harken and Pro-Furl. I've owned all of them at one point or another plus a Hood Sea Furl and an old Hyde Stream Stay. Our current Harken replaced the Hyde Stream Stay..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook