SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beta Marine
Thread: Beta Marine
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013

bvermeer is on a distinguished road
Re: Beta Marine

Twin Disc (the manufacturer of the Sea Prop 60) did respond in a timely manner. They sent my concern (and the sound file) to their technical department. The technical department replied with;
--------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir.

First we want you to know that this product is manufactured in Italy by Twin Disc srl, a company of the Twin Disc Group.

We have supplied some hundreds of these transmissions in the last 36 months to Beta, Allpa, Nanni, Vetus, Lombardini, etc. and many of them has been used to replace some competitors’ units too. The sail drive systems (any brand) do not have any adjusting device to “change or modify the noise”.

In general and based on our experience too, noise between 900 and 1500 rpm “may” be caused by the input flexible coupling characteristics. This coupling is usually selected by the engine manufacturer or supplier, based on similar and most popular applications with various saildrives. Therefore you may try to improve the situation with the engine dealer or a local distributor of input couplings (with a “softer” flexible element to reduce the torsional vibrations coming from the engine)
-------------------------------------------------------------
So with this information I went back to my local distributor who forwarded it to Beta England. Without a response I also sent the same e-mail string to Beta twice without a response. And yes, the Kubota 722 block is running very nicely, as is the sail drive unit. But there is no point in taking them apart to identify the coupling as the problem if there are no coupling options available. Taking the two units apart while still afloat is possible, but somewhat risky. Haulouts are expensive in this part of the world!

I shouldn't have to resort to a phone call, it is after all their "customer service" site that I e-mailed. But I may just do that (perhaps my frustration is clouding my judgement!).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook