SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric hybrid Inboard Vs Diesel
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road
Electric hybrid Inboard Vs Diesel

So I have done a bit of reading and there are a few things I am pretty unsure about.

for the last couple of years I have owned a 1968 Columbia 28 with a glassed in keel that has served me well. The old Atomic 4 is starting to look and behave tired and beyond refreshing it I am considering some other options and wanted to get the thoughts of others.

I primarily sail in the California area of the Pacific. My more often than not trip is to Santa Catalina Island but I would also like to visit some other places that are a bit farther. The Mexico Islands are on my list of musts sometime in the next couple of years. Also because of where my boat is slipped it takes me a good 45 min to motor out of the break water so I guess the point I am making is that range is certainly a factor.

While Diesel is certainly an option in my mind its an undertaking even to someone like me to works on boats its a pretty costly fit up and may be the eventual route I go, especially since I would like to fit it up with a second tank and run biodiesel on the second tank increasing my range by about double.

Another option and the only one that is feasible in the electric class in my mind is the Electric hybrid. Increased battery bank, dedicated electric drive and a 4 stroke generator to charge the batteries. I am pretty uncertain about how many batteries I would need to not but too much draw on the batteries at a time and have a reasonable range and I have no idea what level of generator I would need to be able to charge the bank while it is under load from the drive motor but I am certainly interested in everyone's thoughts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook