SailNet Community - View Single Post - $6,600 to rebuild Atomic 4? replace/rebuild
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: $6,600 to rebuild Atomic 4? replace/rebuild

I gotta admit that I find the market rate for atomic 4 rebuilds stunning.
It's a tractor engine. pushrods, single carb, side valve, flathead, mechanical distributor.
if it was any simpler it wouldn't run.
i think a competent mechanic would be hard pressed to put more than 10 hours into a teardown and rebuild, while an amateur fumbling through his first one might invest twice that in total manhours on the tools.

From a parts standpoint, using moyer pricing, 4 con rods, $300, new crankshaft $400, new pistons (overbored) $300, new bearings (big and little) $400, new valves etc. $400, flywheel is $75, now you have a whole brand spankig new rotating assembly and valve train. Add a $100 gasket kit and $50 worth of hardware and you've just rebuilt the engine. add a few hundred bucks to machine 4 cylinders and clean up the block and head and you're still well under $3K. add a new carb for $200.
You now have damn near a fully rebuilt engine. In other words much more work than in your quote.
For $3K.
at $100/hr for labour, (a stunning figure, considering that a high school shop class would be hard pressed to screw up an atomic 4 rebuild- this does't require a master tech with a 24 drawer roller cabinet full of tools.) there's 35 hours of labour to get to your quote.

There's no way a 4 cylinder sidevalve engine needs that much labour for a professional to strip and rebuild.

And there's no reason why an average person who can turn a wrench or a screwdriver can't do it himself.
think about how many hours it takes to earn the money to pay the guy fixing your engine. why not put those hours toward doing it yourself?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook