SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts on the Beneteau First 305?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Thoughts on the Beneteau First 305?

Not sure what difference there is between a 1st 30 and a 305, the 1st 30 was initially choosen for the sailing equal around france race. Then the mumm/farr30 was the boat, now it is an Archambault 3x' boat, I am recalling a 32 or 33' size.

It is probably similar to my Jeannea Arcadia, which is 28' on deck. But I have a mast head rig, so the downwind part is a bit better than a fractional. Any boat of this size will be cramped if you will, better than your 25' boat, but not as good as a 35'! Then again, as I was growing u in the later 70's to early 80's, boats of this size were real boats, today you do not seem to get into a real boat unless you are 35-40' minimum.

The bee was designed for offshore use, as part of the tour de france was offshore! Along with some coastal etc. even lakes IIRC are part of the race.

many french built boats of this era had a foam backed vinyl hull liner, and the foam is now to the point it is failing. If this repair has been done, ie remove ALL the liner and replace....cool, if not, figure about 40-60 hrs if you do it yourself. At least that is the amount of time it took me!

marty