SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1st time buyer looking for guidance
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: 1st time buyer looking for guidance

You say you want a boat for crossings and cruising; what do you mean by that? The regulars here seem to have fairly specific meanings for those terms, and in many ways they are opposites of each other. When someone first comes here they (as I did up until recently) tend to think of boats capable of crossing oceans as being cruisers. As an overgeneralization, cruisers make bad racers and bad blue water boats (capable of crossing oceans). Blue water boats make terrible racers and not exactly great cruisers. Racers are horrible cruisers and not very good blue water boats. There are a lot of exceptions to these rules but if you break down the boats along those lines, I find it helps figure out what you want. If you want a blue water boat, you won't find one in your price range that isn't a project. I mean no disrespect by saying that - your price range is higher than mine. If you want a cruiser (comfortable for 2-4, maybe 5 people for Lon weekends or a week here or there) your budget should get you a decent boat. I know of a Cherubini-era Hunter 30 in very good shape with air conditioning and other creature comforts that is listed at $12,500. She is in Deltaville, VA, probably too far for you. But those boats are out there. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Catalina 30; read the reviews. They are incredibly popular, have a fair reputation, and have good name recognition with entry-level sailors like us so they should be easier to resell.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook