SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Holding tank size

9K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  bigdogandy 
#1 ·
We need to replace the holding tank, our boat came with a 12 gallon tank and we are refitting for cruising long term. We can fit a22 gallon in and keep a drawer or loose the drawer and put in a 38 gallon tank but will have to a lot more work to put it in. Does a cruising couple need 38 or will 22 suffice. Feedback anyone

#3 ·
If you're at or near a marina, just get your holding tank pumped as and when needed. When passagemaking, it flushes out directly to sea. So why do you need a big(ger) holding tank anyway?

Reactions: Joellen
#5 ·
Joellen,

Suitable tank size depends a bit on your cruising plans and your crew's preferences/habits.

I'd recommend you start your analysis from another direction: How often will you have access to pump-out and/or off-shore dump options?

FWIW: We've got a tank that's about the same size as your current one. We lived aboard for a couple of years. We did the Loop, though we did have a few extended stays in several locations (Brunswick, GA; Marathon; Oriental, NC; Holland, MI) -- and the only time the holding tank size became an issue was when we were on the Black Warrior stretch of the Loop above Mobile, AL.

#6 ·
Don't forget that a very large holding tank (like 38 gallons) will also require considerable structure to hold it in place in rough seas (or in the worst possible case, a roll).

A 38 gallon tank will weigh ~400lbs when full.

Personally I'd rather have useful storage than another 18 gallons of crap...

#9 ·
Our use is 1-3 gallons, per person, per day. I would plan on two gallons, per person, per day as a good average. And as you are cruising, just remember, there is not a pumpout at every stop. And when you find them, they often do not work. And when you find one that works, you better get ready for a nice charge. We got charged $25 for out last pumpout. So if you have to pump out twice a week, at $25/pop (which is very high, but I am making a point), how does that sit for your cruisin budget? Truth be known, most pumpouts are in the 5-10 range, but likely run higher in the keys.

I think for a couple, I would go for the 38 gallons holding tank.

We are fulltime cruisers.

Brian

#12 ·
It will of course also depend on your head - i.e. an electric head with a macerator that uses either fresh or salt water as part of it's flush can take anywhere from 1.3 quarts to 1 gallon per flush (presumably for 'solid' flush only, but who knows).

Go big, but be mindful of the structural issues and weight. 400 extra pounds forward or aft can seriously affect the waterline and under body profile of the boat.

#13 ·
Consider replacing your entire existing setup with a composting head and never worry about holding tank size or capacity again. You'll also gain storage space where the old tank had been.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.