SailNet Community - View Single Post - my boat dances on a ball
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: my boat dances on a ball

I am surprised that no one mentioned one of the main potential causes. Modern rig configurations have moved towards larger mainsails and smaller jibs which pushes the mast forward in the boat from where it might have been 20 years ago. The move to cabin top mounted mainsheets has added to that trend of pushing the rig forward. While the larger mainsail and smaller jib proportion is generally more aerodynamically efficient, and makes it usually easier to sail and shift gears with changing conditions, this tendancy to move the mast forward destabilizes the boat on the mooring. With the advent of in-mast furling spars have gotten much larger and that really aggrevates the situation providing lots more sail area.

On the other hand, I see kiting is a minor nuisance, but a nuisance just the same.

My own boat has a tendancy to kite pretty aggressively in the right conditions. On one notable occasion I saw almost a knot on the GPS.

I have several strategies to deal with this. While this option is not always available, I typically let out more rode than would typically be expected. I have tried skewing the boat (as suggested) and found that works reasonably well in some conditions (steady rather than gusty winds). I have removed the jib from the furler on occasion (tight anchorage and lots of wind) and that helped a lot, but then again it is pretty easy for me to drop and raise my jibs and I do it every time I come in so it is routine.

When I cannot let out much scope I use a kellet shackled to the (boat) end of the chain.

I made a small riding sail on my previous boat. It worked very well most of the time. I came up with a design that had a pocket in its forward and aft edges and I used PVC pipe to make battens so the sail would stay stable in shape. (If I made one again, I would use heavier fabric and use strops rather than pockets to make the battens more easily removeable.) I have seen riding sails which were triangular shape when seen from above, and I speculate that may be even more effective than the simple flat triangular sail I made.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-14-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook